Jhirikbithapahar, Sahebganj, Jharkhand | Jyoti Malto
In 2007, a school was constructed. 8 years later, this school is yet to function because the appointed teacher never shows up for duty. The children tell that they only come on Independence day and Republic day to hoist the flag. When the community complained to the District Collector, an inspection was carried out. Even then, teacher came only for couple of days and vanished again. Older children have to walk a long distance to Mandro to access education while the younger ones stay at home as they can’t travel so far. The Pahariya community demands fast action so that all the children can avail education.
Please call the District Collector of Sahebganj, Mr A. Mutthukumar on +91-9431152021 demand appointment of new teachers so that young children can resume their education.
Jyoti Malto reports from Sahebganj, Jharkhand for IndiaUnheard
In Jhirikbithapahar village of Sahebganj a school was constructed in 2007. But even today after 8 years, this school remains to become functional as the teachers never show up.
– The teacher does not come daily and never teaches anything.
What does he do when he comes?
– He comes and simply sits down.
Don’t you tell him?
– We tell him but he sleeps and forgets.
– We have told him but he does not come.
How many times does he come in a year?
– He comes only once a year.
– It has been more than 2 years. The teacher does not come.
– He comes twice a year, only to hoist flag on Independence day & republic day. Rest of the year, he does not come. So, older children go far away to Mandro in order to study. Younger children get left behind as they cannot go so far. They are missing their education.
Did you complain to anyone about this?
-We complained to the DC and someone came to inspect. If I was there, I would have forced to close the school which never otherwise opens.
So after the inspection, did the teacher come regularly?
– After that, he only came for two days. We want to change this teacher because our small children can not go very far to study.
I am also a part of this community and I appeal all viewers to please call the District Collector of Sahebganj, Mr A. Mutthukumar on +91-9431152021 demand appointment of new teachers so that young children can resume their education.
This video was made by a Video Volunteers Community Correspondent Jyoti Malto .Community Correspondents comes from marginalized communities in India and produce videos on unreported stories. These stories are ’news by those who live it.’ they give the hyper local context to global human rights and development challenges. See more such videos at www.videovolunteers.org. Take action for a more just global media by sharing their videos and joining in their call for change.