Turki, Falka, Katihar, Bihar | Navita Devi
More than 1000 people still do not have access to electricity in Bihar’s Turki village. Electricity poles were erected 5 years yet the villagers suffer in darkness. Correspondent Navita talks to the community about living without electricity and discusses how this problem can be resolved.
– What problems are you facing without electricity?
– We cannot cook or do household chores without electricity. There is darkness everywhere and we cannot venture out in the dark. Children too cannot study in the dark. It gets too hot without fans. The darkness frustrates us. We need electricity to overcome these problems.
– What is the reason for no electricity?
– The officers do not mention anything despite of us pleading so many times. We have complained to the district officials, state officials and almost all officials concerned. They keep assuring us it would come and have even installed poles here 5 years ago. The electricity hasn’t come to us. We finally got together and did a road block protest.
– What happened after the protest?
– The officials told us they they have raised our issue to the central government.
Help Navita’s cause by calling the Block Development Officer of Falka on +91-9431818631 and demanding access to electricity for villagers of Turki in Bihar.
Navita Devi reports from Katihar, Bihar for IndiaUnheard.
This video was made by a Video Volunteers Community Correspondent. Community Correspondents come from marginalised communities in India and produce videos on unreported stories. These stories are ’news by those who live it.’ they give the hyperlocal context to global human rights and development challenges. See more such videos at www.videovolunteers.org. Take action for a more just global media by sharing their videos and joining in their call for change.