People rehabilitated under the Sardar Sarovar project, have the right to receive 5 acres of land if they are beneficiaries. In this video, we talk to Wadage and Kheti Vasave, two of the farmers who lost their land in the Sardar Sarovar Dam Project.
Wadage Vasave shifted house in 1995 and came to Narmada Nagar, Nandurbar district. In 2000, he was given one hectare of land. This land was situated on the bank of Narmada. His land has got washed away because of this river.
Chetan Salve – When did you relocate?
Wadage Vasave – We moved out in 1995 and came here to live.
– Have 20 years gone by?
– Yes, since we moved.
– When were you given land then?
– In the year 2000.
– In the year 2000?
– How much land did they (government) give you?
– 2 and a half acres.
– How much land were you supposed to receive?
– The government has to give me a total of 5 acres.
– What do the officials tell you?
– Many officers make me run around unnecessarily without helping me in any way. Some officials don’t answer while the others shove me off. Some officials tell me to do to the district office which is far away. I have to run from pillar to post unnecessarily.
Chetan Salve – Didn’t you get 5 acres of land from the government collectively?
Kheti Vasave – The government isn’t giving me the whole 5 acres of land.
– When did you get half of the land?
– I got 2 and a half acres in 2011.
– On what terms did you get the land?
– They haven’t given me proprietorship of this land.
– Haven’t you got proprietorship?
– Is it too much of a hassle getting the work done?
– Yes. It is too much of running around. They (officials) are telling me they will not give me my land.
– Can you suffice with 2 and a half acres of land?
– I cannot suffice with agriculture itself and have to do other work to sustain my livelihood.
Wadage Vasave – We cannot get any clear answer from the government, and we have to keep running around without our work getting done. I have been asking for my land to be shifted from where it is, and my rightful reimbursement of 5 acres land that I lost.
– Should the government give the whole 5 acres together?
– Yes. The one-hectare land that the government has given, got washed away in the river while the other land cannot be on proprietorship.
The government has done injustice to these people. The appeal of these innocent people to the government is that both these lands be taken back in exchange of 2 hectares of land combined.
I appeal to my viewers to help our cause if you feel that injustice has been done to these people. Please call the District Rehabilitation Officer on 9503434909 and demand Wadage Kasave’s plea be answered.
I am Chetan Salve reporting from Nandurbar district, Maharashtra for IndiaUnheard.
This video was made by a Video Volunteers Community Correspondent. Take action for a more just global media by sharing their videos and joining in their call for change.