Location: Goa, India
The Producer will develop video stories for the videovolunteers.org website, working with Community Correspondents and the content team.
Production of Individual Stories
- Review story ideas pitched by Community Correspondents and identify stories that have potential to succeed in the mainstream media.
- Write video briefs for these stories.
- Mentor Community Correspondents on those stories. Give them guidance on their shoot and interview plans.
- Review and approve footage as Correspondents send it in; request reshoots.
- Write scripts for the stories
- Do rough edits of the videos and oversee the final edits with the editors.
- Subtitle videos.
- Upload them to the internet and publish them. Ensure videos are properly uploaded, titled and tagged
- Develop series ideas based on what is in the news and write short briefs that Correspondents can follow in the field
- Manage productions done at the request of either NGO or mainstream media clients and manage those relationships
- Do final quality control on videos to ensure they are ready for publishing
- Participate in editorial planning meetings
- Watch video news, documentaries, popular YouTube videos in order to bring new format ideas into your productions
Training and Mentorship of Correspondents
- Provide feedback to Correspondents on their videos.
- Write training outlines based on the learning’s in the videos.
- Keep the VV database up to date
- At least four years of experience, ideally in television news, documentaries related to social issues or print journalism.
- Very good knowledge of India’s social and people’s rights issues; very much on top of the news and knowledgeable of the major media houses in India
- Excellent ability to conduct interviews on difficult issues
- Very good writer in English, in order to write excellent graphics and subtitles
- Fluency in both Hindi and English
- Video editing experience would be an advantage
- Ability to multi-task and work quickly. Extremely organized. You will be moving forward up to 20-30 stories at a time.
- Great communications skills and ability to work in a team and mentor junior staff.
- Strong preference will be given to women and transgender candidates. Dalit (SC) or Adivasi (ST) applicants will be prioritized. This position is based in Goa, and involves minimal travel to the field, as the video shooting is all done by Community Correspondents.
Video Volunteers is a media and people’s rights non-profit that is growing and changing the media and social change space in India. We are an international community media organization that equips women and men in underdeveloped areas with video journalism skills, enabling entire communities to expose underreported stories from their communities and take action to right the wrongs of poverty, injustice and inequality.