Brazil CVU Videos: VCU.br Films for Clients
The final assignment required the entrepreneurs to make a film for a paying client. On this page you will find interviews with the entrepreneurs about their final films and links to the films themselves. You can read the detailed profiles of the entrepreneurs here.
Coffee and Culture
A promotional video for a bookstore which provides a unique cultural space in Sáo Paolo.
By Allan Jones
Livraria Café e Cultura is a bookstore and coffee house which dedicates its space to art, music, literature and cultural encounters in Guarulhos, Brazil. Since its’ establishment, Livraria Café e Cultura has evolved from being a simple coffee shop and library combo to hosting art exhibitions, promoting local bands and having book launches. This video gives us a glimpse inside this unique business venture.
- Why did you choose this issue? I want to develop my professional contacts.
- How are you personally connected to it? I managed to produce this video on the advice of friends who commented on the Bookstore Coffee & Culture then I spoke with the director Mr. Claudio Furton.
- Where was it shown and to how many people? The video is shown in the Bookstore Coffee & Culture blog. There are around 50 people per day seeing the video.
- How much were you paid for it? They paid R$180,00 (USD106) for the production and they are supporting our community media collective (Coletivo Caçamba) by distributing our flyers in their shop.
Point of View
A montage on Brazil’s busiest bus terminal for use by the bus terminal agency in seeking funding.
By Beatriz Natália
- Why did you choose this issue? The people living or working in urban spaces always touch me.
- How are you personally connected to it? The Tietê terminal is part of São Paulo and it was very important for me to know some of its routine in the neighbors area.
- Where was it shown and to how many people? Internal viewings – it is going to be used by the Bus Terminal Tietê Funding board.
- How much were you paid for it? They pay R$1300,00 (USD 765) for this video. I also made another video showing all the store inside the Terminal, but this video cannot be posted, as it was ordered for an internal Terminal Tietê networkers view.
Domestic Violence against Mulheres (Women)
Explores violence against women in São Paolo; used to disseminate information on the issue.
By Juilete Bernardo
Domestic violence is present in all societies and São Paulo, Brazil is no exception. This video looks at domestic violence in São Paulo through the eyes of Elaine—an abused woman; Maria Cristina Caetano—a psychology graduate working at the Itaquera Women Center of Citizenship; Regina Celia Issi—São Paulo State Police Force Chief Officer; and Thatiane—a social worker.
- Why did you choose this issue? I chose to talk about violence against women, as I know many cases. I even have a neighbour who suffers from it and so many cases of domestic violence remain unreported.
- How are you personally connected to it? I am connected with this video, because I know several women who suffer from this situation. Moreover, I have known and admired the work of Viviane dos Santos, an NGO assisting women who suffer from domestic violence for a long time.
- Who will use it and how much were you paid for it? It will be used by Viviane dos Santos, the NGO mentioned above. The video is important to inform women, who usually have no access to such information, about the services provided by Viviane dos Santos and the rights of women more generally. I was not paid to make this film but I have been asked to make a second film for which I will be paid. This film will be made under the ‘Coletivo Cacamba’ banner.
Music for the Marginalised
A promotional recording of a favela music class for screening to funders.
By Leila (Costa) Bana
Projeto Guri in Brazil teaches poor children how to play instruments and make music. Established in 1995 in the Sãn Paulo Cultural State Department, the project is aimed at promoting social and cultural inclusion through musical education of children and teenagers. This video focuses on students of this project in São José do Rio Preto, Brazil during a music show class.
- Why did you choose this issue? I did not choose it! The Guri Project director needed a producer to make video recordings. I told the director about the VCU.br project and he agreed to contract me for the job.
- How are you personally connected to it? Firstly, I love this music project. Secondly, a friend of mine works for the project administration so he is the one who referred me.
- Who will use it and how much were you paid for it? The video will be used to communicate to the Guri Project partners. They paid me R$ 1000,00 (USD588).
A documentary of a Bolivian folk band in Brazil, called Akhulli, highlighting cultural diversity.
By Henrique Eiji Sawaki
Akhulli is a Bolivian band that performs Andean music in Brazil. Andean music is about everyday life and also projects the history of the Bolivian people. Akhulli contributes to the creation of an awareness of Andean and Latin American arts and cultures, and tells the world, through music, about Bolivian folklore.
- Why did you choose this issue? I chose this issue because I always wanted to work with video clips and thought this would be a good way to start.
- How are you personally connected to it? There is a lot of personal connection, including the fact that the customer is a neighbor of mine.
- Where was it shown and to how many people? The video will be forwarded to the Secretary of Culture for São Paulo as part of the bands application to perform at Virada Cultural City.
- Who will use it and how much were you paid for it? The Akhulli folk band will use it. I received a payment of R$400,00 (USD235) for this video.
History of the ‘School Rachel Eliza’
A film made about Renato’s own high school to teach current pupils about its heritage.
By Renato Tavares
The “Prof. Eliza Rachel Estate School” (commonly referred to as the Eliza Rachel School) was formerly the “Village of Chabilândia”, but was renamed due to Eliza’s important contributions to the educational field in Brazil. This video tell us about the history of “Eliza Rachel’s School”, Chabilândia Community, São Paulo, Brazil.
- Why did you choose this issue? The school always has many events and they want to start recording all the events for the school website — www.elizarachel.com.br.
- How are you personally connected to it? Because I studied at this school and always wanted to make this video. I spoke with the director of the school and he agreed.
- Who will use it and how much were you paid for it? It will be used on the school website for all those interested in the history of the school. It will also be presented to students studying Art and History. I was not paid for this film but I bargained with the school Director and I will make an institutional video in 2010 for which I will be paid.
The Voice from the Community
A promotional video for a community radio station.
By Ricardo Trevisann
Multi FM, ‘The Voice from the Community’, is a community radio station in Guarulhos, Brazil. This radio station is for the community, by the community – a classic community radio station. The people of the community use it as a space to voice their problems as well as to highlight good deeds in the community. As Multi FM is a community radio station, the community radio and community video produced by Ricardo cross-reference each other. Video Volunteers’ directors appeared as guests on the station, with Ricardo.
- Why did you choose this issue? I live in Guarulhos and I want to explore clients in this area.
- How are you personally connected to it? I used to listen to Radio Multi FM at home every morning.
- Who will use it and how much were you paid for it? The video will be used during the Radio directors meetings that they have with New Partners.
In addition, it is to be shown to the TV Guarulhos boss, the Union authorities and the Office of Consumer Protection (the Vice President is the Radio Multi FM General Director). They didn’t pay for the video but they will introduce me to different Guarulhos enterprises. The Radio will do any promotions that the Coletivo Caçamba need in the region of Guarulhos.
TO SEE ALL of their videos visit our CVU Films site. Just sort for “VV Brazil”.