About us: Video Volunteers (VV) is a media and people’s rights non-profit that is growing and changing the media and social change space in India. We are an international community media organisation that equips women and men in underdeveloped areas with video journalism skills, enabling entire communities to expose underreported stories from their communities and take action to right the wrongs of poverty, injustice and inequality. In our main program 212 community correspondents from marginalised communities produce video stories on people’s rights issues, to show to local officials of the area and to the rest of the world via the Internet.
The Producer – Writer will work with the Content, Production and Outreach team at VV to ensure diversity of content and adequate coverage of key themes. The role entails 80% editorial and video production inputs and 20% writing. This position is based in Goa, and involves minimal travel to the field, as the video shooting is done by Community Correspondents.
Producing Stories and Mentoring Correspondents
- Review story ideas pitched by Community Correspondents and identify stories that have potential to succeed in the mainstream media.
- Develop series ideas based on what is in the news and write short briefs that Correspondents can follow in the field
- Write video briefs for stories.
- Mentor Community Correspondents on stories. Give them guidance on their shoot and interview plans. . You will be moving forward up to 20 stories at a time.
- Review and approve footage as Correspondents send it in; request reshoots when necessary.
- Provide feedback to Correspondents on their videos.
- Write training outlines based on the learning’s in the videos.
Feedback on Edits and Managing Story Pipeline
- Give feedback to video editors on rough cuts, carry out necessary research, fact-check and follow-up to ready videos for publishing.
- Coordinate with the production team by reviewing and moving forward daily edits to ensure that there are an adequate number of stories on the bank.
- Update video production status on VV’s database. Ensure that it is up to date.
- Participate in editorial planning meetings
- Manage productions done at the request of either NGO or mainstream media clients and manage those relationships
- Subtitle videos/check subtitles as and when required.
- Watch video news, documentaries, popular YouTube videos in order to bring new format ideas into your productions
- Write articles for publishing on videovolunteers.org
- Write scripts for videos
- At least 3-4 years of work experience in news/video production, documentaries related to social issues.
- Very good knowledge of India’s social and people’s rights issues; very much on top of the news and knowledgeable of the major media houses in India.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Must have an excellent understanding of news cycles as well as social issues in the country, especially Caste, Gender, Education, Land Rights, and Social Welfare Schemes.
- Very good writer in English, in order to write excellent graphics and subtitles.
- Fluency in both Hindi and English.
- Video editing experience would be an advantage.
- Ability to multi-task and work quickly. Extremely organized.
- Great communications skills and ability to work in a team and mentor junior staff.
In accordance with our staff diversity standards, Preference will be given to women, transgender, Dalit (SC) and Adivasi (ST) candidates.
Send in your resume along with a cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also fill up our online application form.