Video Volunteers (VV) is a media and human rights non-profit that is growing and changing the media and social change space in India. We are an international community media organisation that equips women and men in underdeveloped areas with video journalism skills, enabling entire communities to expose underreported stories from their communities and take action to right the wrongs of poverty, injustice and inequality. In our main program 212 community correspondents from marginalised communities produce video stories on human rights issues, to show to local officials of the area and to the rest of the world via the Internet.
This is a position for someone who knows how to produce and edit short web videos, who has an understanding of the development challenges facing rural India, and who is enjoys training and empowering others. The core task is to work with a network of rural journalists to produce and edit high quality videos in collaboration with them, to distribute them and to mentor them to become better producers. Depending on prior experience, the position may be more heavily weighted towards video editing or towards training.
- Have mentoring calls with VV Correspondents to help them identify and shoot interesting stories, and identify impact plans.
- Review footage Correspondents send in; request re-shoots where required
- Edit the videos as simple web videos of 1-3 minutes
- Upload the videos to YouTube, tag them and maximize them
- Conduct social media with the videos.
- Edit videos produced from scripts or content provided by other VV team members
- Conceptualize and produce weekly shows
- Work with the VV archive – identify themes or issues related to current events where the VV network has already done strong reporting.
- Review the footage already produced by the network and create fresh content from these older stories.
- Provide feedback to Correspondents’ on their videos, so their skills develop
Skills or experience required:
- 2-5 years of experience in journalism or web video production
- fast editor, with experience in Adobe Premiere Pro
- Excellent spoken Bengali – most videos will be in Bengali
- Excellent written English
- Experience living or working in rural India preferred
- Demonstrated interest in training or teaching required
- very well-organized, and able to adhere to tight deadlines and follow VV’s production procedures
- Experience with excel and data management preferred
In accordance with our staff diversity standards, preference will be given to women candidates. Candidates from marginalized backgrounds such as Scheduled Castes and Sheduled Tribes are especially encouraged to apply.
This position will be based at Goa. To apply, please fill the application form