About Video Volunteers:
Video Volunteers is a media and people’s rights NGO that is growing and changing the media and social-change space in India. We are an international community media organization that equips women and men in underdeveloped areas with video journalism skills, enabling entire communities to expose underreported stories from their communities and take action to right the wrongs of poverty, injustice and inequality. In our main program very marginalized communities produce video stories on people’s rights issues, to show to local officials of the area and to the rest of the world via the Internet.
Program Coordinator/Researcher- Surveys for Action Project, Goa
Video Volunteers is seeking a program coordinator for our Surveys for Action program.
In our program Surveys for Action, Video Volunteers develops short, simple and methodologically sound surveys on the issues of the Sustainable Development Goals and trains community members to conduct these surveys. The resulting data is turned into infographics and shared on social media to popularize the SDGs. The problem we are seeking to address is as follows: for many of the indicators of the Sustainable Development Goals (perhaps as high as 40%), there is not adequate data available to measure progress. In addition, there is the challenge that some development data is unreliable, sometimes even corrupted. VV believes that marginalized communities themselves should and can be empowered to gather this data, because they can do so quickly and cheaply and it increases civic engagement and better governance – i.e., they use the data to drive change. A greater focus on community-led monitoring could be the key to localizing the SDGs, and it is feasible to imagine thousands of grassroots NGOs & CBOs collaborating on data-gathering and community-led campaigns and solutions resulting from the data.
For more information, visit www.videovolunteers.org/about/surveys-for-action-community-led-data-gathering-project/
- Draft 1 to 3 surveys each month on different community issues.
- Network with NGOs and national-level campaigns for ideating surveys and finding users of our surveys
- Create a strategy document for each survey
- Research the issues thoroughly that will be covered in the surveys, identifying the gaps in existing data that we can fill
- Roll out the surveys to the Correspondent Network via VV’s communications channels (whats app groups and facebook groups)
- Ensure an adequate number of surveys are completed
- Provide training to Correspondents in conducting the surveys
- Analyze the data and isolate the most salient and interesting points uncovered
- Draft the infographic and provide instructions to a designer
- Document the surveying process for internal learnings, program improvement and social media content. Interview Correspondents on their experiences.
- Design the social media campaign that accompanies each survey.
- Write web content about the survey.
- Network with organizations to scale Surveys for Action to other organizations and partners
- Communicate with the media about the surveys – draft press releases, and seek to create media partnerships.
- Work on other research projects as and when the organization requires
At least three years of experience in a research or journalistic role in the social sector
- Past experience should be in journalism or research, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Strong writing skills
- Experience of conducting and designing grassroots primary research will be preferred, as well as a strong ability to do secondary research.
- Understanding of research methodologies and surveying techniques
- Knowledge of data cleaning, charts, sample size calculation and statistical packages such as SPSS strongly preferred
- Excellent ability to summarize data
This position is based in Goa, India with occasional travel. Goa, with its low cost of living, beautiful beaches, wonderful food and mild climate is one of the nicest places in which to live.
Note: We do not discriminate on the basis of a person’s religion, caste, gender or sexual orientation. Persons belonging to religious, ethnic or gender minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
Contact: Send your resume along with a cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position to email@example.com and fill up the online application form here: