About us: Video Volunteers (VV) is a media and people’s rights non-profit that is growing and changing the media and social change space in India. We are an international community media organization that equips women and men in underdeveloped areas with video journalism skills, enabling entire communities to expose underreported stories from their communities and take action to right the wrongs of poverty, injustice and inequality. In our main program 212 community correspondents from marginalized communities produce video stories on people’s rights issues, to show to local officials of the area and to the rest of the world via the Internet.
Field producers will work with VV’s nationwide network of Community Correspondents (CCs) as they produce stories using mobile journalism and devise solutions to the problem they are reporting. The team of Field producers will help ensure that VV’s network of CCs is working at maximum efficiency by tracking and monitoring their performance.
- Responsible for bringing in stories from a group of Community Correspondents (CCs) to provide feedback on their videos, mentor them on solving issues and know about their general well being.
- Review story ideas pitched by Community Correspondents (CCs) and give them guidance on their shoot and interview plans. The story ideas will be in the form of photo stories shared via whatsapp or other messaging apps.
- Upload photo-stories on the respective state Facebook pages and caption and tag it appropriately
- Fill up the Video Volunteers custom database with the details of the story and link of the upload
- Identify stories that have the potential to succeed in the mainstream media.
- Watch Video news, documentaries, popular YouTube video in order to bring new format ideas into your productions.
- Participate in editorial planning meetings.
Training and Mentoring
- Responsible for the retention and well being of the assigned Community Correspondents (CC).
- Mentor CCs through all aspects of production over the phone. So you may not just tell them ‘bring in a good shot’, you may need to explain it.
- Conduct trainings of Community Correspondents and others as and when required.
- Manage production data and flow – maintain all documentation related to production of stories, tracking impact and other data pertaining to the network of community correspondents.
- Research on key issues that we work on.
- Document interactions with CCs to ensure we remain a learning organization.
- Fill up all relevant reporting and tracking excels, sheets and databases
- Ensure that the components of the CC wise strategic plan are followed through and all concerns are escalated.
Advocacy and Impacts
- Identify potential impacts from all the videos, either locally or nationally and discuss strategies to maximize this with the State advocacy manager and Impacts manager.
- Create an impact plan for each story in consultation with the Impacts and Advocacy Manager
- Roll out the impact plan to the Community Correspondent and supervise the impact process in consultation with the Impacts and Advocacy Manager.
- Responsible for the Impact video production, including mentoring, reviewing and feedback.
- Review all Impact videos using the impact checklist, give feedback to CCs and update the corresponding database entries.
- Raise the production quality of Impact videos by training of CCs and mentors, by providing inputs on video productions
- Technical Troubleshooting of all videos.
- 0 to 4 years of experience in journalism or news production.
- Speaks at least 3 languages spoken across Jharkhand (Ho, Santhal, Munda, Kharta, Kuru, Panchpargania, Pahariya).
- Passion for current events and an avid consumer of the news
- Team player
- Experience working with communities and interest in training and teaching
- Strong experience with technology, social media and video editing.
- Mature, respectful and calm demeanor
- Excellent writing skills
- Process orientation
- Understanding of issue related to People’s Rights
- Ability to multitask and keep track of various deliverables and projects
- Knowledge of Excel, PPT and office applications.
- Strong phone and verbal communication skills along with active listening
In accordance with our staff diversity standards, preference will be given to women candidates. Candidates from marginalized backgrounds such as Dalit (Scheduled Castes) and Adivasi (Sheduled Tribes) are especially encouraged to apply.
This position is based at our head office in Goa and involves occasional travel.
Please send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org