- In a country that denies the existence of caste discrimination, our Community Correspondents (CCs) documented untouchability practices across the country in 26 (and counting) powerful videos. These videos are the basis for our large national campaign for equality and dignity, called the Article 17 Campaign to End Untouchability.
- The Campaign is being drafted into a public Interest litigation where our videos will serve as legal evidence.
- Satyamev Jayate, one of the most successful social issue television programs in history, featured our India director’s work on untouchability. This prompted thousands of people – from young people, to journalists, to government agencies - to contact VV to get involved in the fight against untouchability.
- The IndiaUnhead program expanded to some of the most marginalized tribal regions in the country. We recruited and trained 28 Tribal (a.k.a Adivasi) correspondents this year, in parts of the country where the majority of the population is Adivasi, yet there isn’t a single Adivasi journalist.
- Their videos transformed the unheard, vulnerable voices of the tribal communities into a potent force. They spoke on corruption, poverty, starvation, lack of basic amenities and the oppression of the state.
- We trained 52 new CC’s to bring the total of CC’s trained in our IndiaUnheard program to 126 New Community Correspondents.
- Our correspondents have produced 365 Community Videos this year.
- In partnership with a UN agency, we developed and instituted a replicable model whereby 20 grassroots women are documenting, via video, the successes and challenges of self-help groups.
- Tehelka, CNN-IBN and Yahoo started distributing VV community reports. We took on numerous new online distribution partnerships including popular youth portals Youth Ki Awaaz and Halabol.
- Aljazeera, BBC Radio, NPR, NDTV and AFP covered VV—our best year for press!
- VV won The Edelgive Social Innovations Award, WSIS Changemakers Award, and received the Ashoka Fellowship.
- Presented at 2 TEDx events, at the World Summit of the Information Society in Geneva, Oxfam Germany, CRY, Human Rights Law Newtork, IIT Delhi-Harvard, Population Council, THiNK, National Alliance of People’s Movements, and International Dalit Solidarity Network.
- Developed partnerships with V4C, community radio secretariat, Center for Protection of Journalists, HRLN, WITNESS, ESCR-Net, Gram Vaani and UNDP, Clinton Global Initiative
This video is a story of success, a story of a small win against a giant corporation. A story of persistence and a never-say-die attitude. This year, the workers of 3 gardens in the Alipurduar area of Kumargram Block, received a slightly increased yearly bonus, an increase of 3%, from...
Video Volunteers launched an online and offline campaign called “#kNOwTrafficking- Taskari Jaano, Taskaari Roko'' on July 18, 2022.