Advocacy Coordinator- Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh,
Video Volunteers is looking for Advocacy Coordinators in each of the above states who will be the key contact person for all the state specific work that we engage in. The person would be in charge of building a vibrant community correspondent network in the state/region and strengthen the position of Video Volunteers as a key human rights and media organization representing issues of social justice and human rights and entitlement violations. This position would be great opportunity for working with a range of activists, media and human rights organizations in the region and bring together various advocacy efforts through community media.
1. Coordination with community correspondent network
- Mentor Community Correspondents (CC’s) on all aspects of conceptualization, production and dissemination of videos/information.
- Train potential CC’s as trainers and mentors.
- Manage and be responsible for coordinating work with the editor, CC coordinators/mentors and community correspondents and communicate regularly with the team in goa.
- Coordinate with the impacts manager in establishing contact with key decision makers – at the village, district, state levels – who can take action and draw up an impacts, lobbying and advocacy plan as suited for the issue.
- Map possibilities for engagement with local media and finalise on engagement in discussion with our communications manager.
- Ensure that community correspondents are supported in engaging with communities in a two way process of information sharing using participatory ways of working.
- Maintain all documentation in the formats agreed with the Impacts and Communications Manager.
2. Advocacy & Networking
- Identify potential impacts from all the videos, either locally or nationally and discuss on how to maximize this with the Impacts manager.
- Constantly engage with local groups for building on our impact and advocacy strategies
- Building knowledge base of the organisation on issues of traditional land and forest rights, human rights violations, internal conflict, forced evictions and displacement.
- Maintain district and state level database of violations with regard to these and update this on a regular basis.
- Establish a network of organizations, movements and individuals who can strengthen the work on the identified issues/themes at the district, state levels.
- Design an advocacy plan for the state on identified issues and implement this in consultation with the Impacts Manager.
- Contribute to designing and implementing campaign ideas on the identified issues
3. Accounting and management
- Manage all aspects of programme and administration in the state/regional office.
- Maintain accounts at state/regional office and coordinate with the Accounts and administrative Officer in ensuring that all accounting procedures are complied with.
4. Qualifications/Experience: Atleast 3 years experience in the development sector. The person should have an activist bent and be able to build a strong network with movements and civil society organizations in the state. Willingness to travel around the state and ability to work with minimal supervision are crucial requirements. Residents of the state are strongly preferred.
Each Advocacy Coordinator will need to be based in the state for which they are the advocacy coordinator as it will involve lots of travel to the field and relationship building with local groups and authorities and Community Correspondents.
To apply, please fill in an online application from here.